Sunday 13 February 2011

Lest we forget...

Yesterday we took our little boy Jacob to a small farm nearby run by a group of Christians. It is a lovely place and good for an afternoon visit to see the animals and to get some fresh country air! The couple who run the farm are keen on a strong gospel witness around the place and over by one of the gates there is a large wooden cross, an imposing sight to all the visitors passing through. There is a sign next to it informing visitors that this is to remind us all of God's gift to us in giving his son Jesus Christ to die for us on the cross. There is a tub next to it full of large nails and visitors are invited to take two nails, hammering one into the base of the cross and keeping the other in their pocket to remind them of the death of the Lord Jesus for them.

[caption id="attachment_70" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="The cross at Highfields Farm"]The Cross like Calvary at Highfields Farm, Derbyshire[/caption]

Personally I liked the simplicity and visual impact of this gospel witness, the cross was covered in nails, and everyone I saw took note of the spectacle. As a believer it reminded me of the importance of remembering the cross and the Saviour's death there for me. It challenged me as to how much the cross affected me day to day, it is all too easy to become over familiar with these things and for them to lose the impact they have on our daily lives. Let us never lose sight of the cross or forget what the Lord passed through at the hands of men and a holy, righteous sin-hating God for us there at the place called Calvary.

I was reminded of the words of the hymn:

"Lest I forget Gethsemane, lest I forget thine agony, lest I forget thy love for me, Lead me to Calvary."

May the Lord bless our meditation and consideration of him.

Your in Him,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Kings 19: Elijah and God

I was listening to a podcast the other day which was speaking about 1 Kings 19 and it reminded me of how very relevant this passage is to ou...