Friday 11 February 2011

Top 5 Bible Study Aids...

[caption id="attachment_62" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Another important study aid; a good cup of coffee..."]Open Bible and a cup of coffee[/caption]

Hopefully this will spark a bit of constructive debate/feedback! I thought it might be useful to offer to you all my recommendations on what I consider to be my own choice of top 5 Bible study aids. Of course everyone will have their own thoughts on what works best for them, but these are mine, feel free to put your comments on your own views below the post! Joking aside, I have no doubt that if these 5 things were to find a place in your Bible study that you would appreciate the benefit they bring. So in no particular order...

1. Wide Margin Study Bible

I really believe in Bible marking, it helps you to remember good thoughts/meanings/structures about a passage whether they are gleaned in private study or in a teaching meeting. It also helps to have them their on the Bible page in front of you (rather than strewn around in notebooks all over) so they are readily available when referring to a passage in future meetings and can really help you build up a good knowledge of a section as these notes grow over time. I have an Oxford wide margin that I have tentatively started to mark, their are other suitable Bibles to use, just make sure the paper is thick enough and the margins big enough to be useful! Best pens for marking? I haven't found better than Pilot G-Tec C4's yet at the time of writing, they don't bleed through my Bible pages, the nib is tiny for small writing and they are just a couple of quid each.

2. Vines Expository Dictionary

You've got to have it, you just have to. My grandad gave me mine when I was a teenager and it has been invaluable to me over the years. Want to learn more about a word? Look it up in Vines and he will shed light on the meaning and different shades of meaning in relation to the word. Even looking up simple words that you think you know the meaning of can produce further benefit and understanding, which is the wonderful thing about the Word of God.

3. Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

Again, an essential Bible study tool. This is really how I started doing little studies, by looking up a word, noting down the references of interest and then trying to link them and build something from it. This is a very satisfying way to study the scriptures and it has stayed with me and provided me with lots of satisfying mini studies over the years. With Strong's you can also look up a word and it will give you the word in the original language and it's root meaning, this too can also be helpful in your understanding of a passage.

4. Online Bible/e-Sword etc...

Of course if you don't like big books for some reason, or if you are too young and trendy and love your computer then a good alternative to the 2 books above is to use a good online Bible, or if you are like me you can use it in conjunction with the books! I always find it handy to have as it is so quick to look for references and copy and paste into other documents. Also it comes with Strong's built in so you can just hover over a word and it will give you the Strong's number and tell you the original word and meaning. Super. You can also often get other study aids, books and resources that come with an 'online' Bible. The other great plus point is that they are often free (I use e-Sword and I believe this is still free, although donations can be made) so it is great value.

5. Morrish's Bible Dictionary

The title is a little confusing, as it's more of an encyclopaedia than a dictionary really. Just look up what you are interested in and you get a neat summary of the subject, with lots of references and helpful insights. Want to know more about the history of the Philistines? Want to do a character study on John Mark? Want to learn about Ephesus? Then use this book, it's a useful and invaluable study tool.

Bonus Item - Jensens Surveys

Ok so my 5 items are up but the online Bible was kind of an optional extra... The other study aid I have found very useful was Jensens Survey of the Old and New Testament, 2 books that have been very useful for me. The survey encourages you to speed read a book, then reread more carefully and pick out main sections of a book, themes, chapter divisions and such like. The guide also includes many useful charts, maps, tables and diagrams all designed to encourage a wider understanding of a book, hence the term 'survey'. The occasions I have used this to compliment my study it has been very useful and I have enjoyed studying this way.

So there we have it, a list of helpful books and aids that I offer as they have formed the mainstay of my Bible study for years now. Of course many other things could have been mentioned, commentaries and such like but I feel the best study aids are the ones that encourage self-study rather than actually giving you the teaching on a plate. Far better to get it yourself, although it's always nice to couple your own study with some wider reading from other gifted teachers of the Word.

Feel free to add your own Top 5 in the comments section, we could well revisit this topic soon!

Yours in Christ,

Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Kings 19: Elijah and God

I was listening to a podcast the other day which was speaking about 1 Kings 19 and it reminded me of how very relevant this passage is to ou...