Saturday 5 May 2012

The 7 Sayings on the Cross (5)

"I thirst"


What a tremendous mystery is here, that the very Son of God should ever utter the words "I thirst"... For the purposes of my little mini study I have put this saying alongside the following question from the foot of the cross;

"If thou be the Son of God..."

Surely these two statements bring together that great mystery of godliness, that God was manifest in the flesh, he is the Son of God and yet equally the Son of Man and on occasions in his life we can see the humanity of the Lord Jesus. There were times when he was tired or wearied, there were times when he wept, and there were times where he desired water to drink. Now at the cross the very Son of God cries out, "I thirst"

When we consider these 2 simple yet incredible words of the Saviour from the cross, remember once again that here was the one who in the beginning had divided the waters from the waters, who had gathered the waters under the heaven to one place and who had separated the waters from the dry land. Yet here at Calvary we see from Psalm 22 that his "tongue cleaveth to my jaws" and that his "strength is dried up like a potsherd". A potsherd - a small piece of pottery that had been long baked in the kiln, with not a molecule of moisture in it, small wonder he cried from the cross "I thirst"

"Verily God, yet become truly human,
Lower than angels to die in our stead"
 
Yours in Christ, Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Kings 19: Elijah and God

I was listening to a podcast the other day which was speaking about 1 Kings 19 and it reminded me of how very relevant this passage is to ou...